I am sure like my self many people wear spectacles and have probably been told by their optometrist to look after the spectacles, not to put them facing down on the table, not to clean them with tissues and in a nut shell what they mean is treat them with respect. I have many spectacles cases to hold my spectacles but most of them are hard cases that are a little bulky for my bedside table.
I have been looking for an open top tall standing spectacle holder to place on my bedside table for ages. I wanted a holder into which I could just slip my spectacles in for safe keeping when I go to bed. I have yet to find a suitable holder so in the mean time I decided to make my own. This upright tube holder is perfect for holding my spectacles and it can be made in any size to accommodate any pair of spectacles. Furthermore you can make it to match your room decor too. You can use a left over piece of matching wall paper or fabric or you can colour coordinate the room colour. The options are endless.
To make the spectacle holder you will need:
1 piece of tube the same height as your spectacles measured across the spectacles
Fabric or paper of choice
1 piece A5 card
1. Place the tube onto the A5 card and draw a circle, now draw a second circle approx 1.5 cm bigger around it to make the base. Cut the cardboard circle out .
2.Using the cardboard circle cut another circle same size from the patterned fabric or paper and stick it to the card.
3.To make the Spectacle holder place the tube onto the paper and measure out a 1cm line top and bottom of tube.
4. Draw lines on the two margins approx 1cm apart and snip these as this will help to stick the paper into the top of the tube and also on the bottom.
5. Glue the tube and then place it on the patterned paper and securely stick the overlapping edges.
6. Fold in the snipped edges into the top edge of the tube and glue into place to neaten the top of the tube.
7. Fan out the snipped edges at the bottom of the tube and spread glue on them.
8. Place the tube centrally on the prepared cardboard circle and stick the fanned out edges so that the tube is now standing upright onto the cardboard disc.
9. Leave to dry and decorate the tube as required or leave it plain.
10. Once dry the spectacle holder is ready to use.