Rich and delicious chocolate fudge cake with chocolate dipped juicy strawberries.
275 g caster sugar
175 g soft margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
175 g natural yoghurt
225 g self raising flour
50 g cocoa
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
For the icing:
50 g margarine
30 g cocoa
5 tablespoons milk
240 g icing sugar
White chocolate hearts and stars
120 g milk chocolate
1.Preheat oven to 170 degrees C /325 degrees F
2. Line the sides and base of a 9 inch spring form baking tin and grease it.
3. Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave for 2 minutes and when it is fully melted, dip 6 strawberries in them and leave them to set in the fridge.
4. Slice the remaining strawberries in half keeping the leaf on and keep aside for garnishing later.
5. In a bowl add the sugar and margarine and beat until light and fluffy.Add the yoghurt and eggs and beat again until fully incorporated.together.
6.Sieve together the cocoa, flour and bicarbonate of soda and add it to the butter and egg mixture. Fold the mixture until all the flour is incorporated.
7. Add the cake batter to the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted in it comes out clean.
9. Remove cake from oven and leave to cool in the tin.
10. Once cake is cooled remove it from the tin and remove the paper lining.
11. Place the cake top side down on a serving dish.
Making the icing:
12.In a pan add the margarine, when it has melted take it off the heat. Sieve the cocoa and icing sugar into the melted butter. Add the milk and whisk together to form the chocolate ganache.
13. Let the ganache cool slightly, than pour it over the cooled cake and spread it on the sides and top of cake.
14. Let the ganache set for 15 minutes.
15. After 15 minutes , add the 6 chocolate dipped strawberries on the top of the cake and place the remaining strawberries halves around the circumference of the base of the cake.Decorate the top of the cake with chocolate hearts and stars.
I have baked this cake for the great Verbaudet summer bake off, since the theme was summer, I have used strawberries in my cake. To participate in this bakeoff, Verbaudet sent me the great British Bake off recipe book, some edible decorations, measuring spoons and oven gloves.